What should you consider when looking at your Cannabis Company? It is not as simple as it sounds.  Here are some things you should probably consider.

This is real advice, from real professionals for your I-502 Business.

ARE YOU A RESIDENT? Let me count the ways... by Jennifer Hudson

In Washington State, the wizard of Cannabis decided that you need to be a resident in Washington State for 6 months prior to application for your business license with the LCB.

Does that mean you can stay at your buddy's house for a while and sleep on the couch?  Unfortunately, no it doesn't.  Never fear, Washington has made it pretty straight forward for you.  

According to Washington State Department of Licensing, to prove you are a Washington State resident means finding 3 pieces from the list below. This can also be found on the department of licensing website at:

How do you prove residency?  Let me count the ways....


  • A valid WA driver license or ID card
  • Concealed weapons permit
  • Homeowner’s insurance policy or invoice showing the address of the insured property or residence
  • Home utility bill (such as gas, electricity, water, garbage, landline telephone, or cable) or hook-up work order dated within the past 60 days. A utility bill or work order isn’t acceptable if 2 unrelated people are listed.
  • Mortgage documents
  • Property tax bill or statement dated within the past 12 months
  • Your name and address in a current phone book made by a telephone book publisher
  • Moorage bill or contract showing you live on a boat in a marina
  • Federal or state government agency-issued check
  • Tribal ID that contains your current residential address
  • A filed property deed or title for your current residence


  • Auto insurance policy (not the proof of insurance card)
  • Washington State business license
  • Business mail dated within the past 60 days. Mail must include your first and last name, and must be from state or federal revenue Departments, the Social Security Administration, the U.S. Treasury, or the IRS. It cannot be addressed “in care of,” “for,” or “parent of.”
  • Current Washington State voter card
  • Home utility bill (such as gas, electricity, water, garbage, landline telephone, or cable) or hook-up work order dated within the past 60 days. Two or more unrelated people may be named on the bill or work order.
  • Medical record paid by insurance or a medical bill
  • Medicaid card or DSHS medical coupon
  • Pay stub that contains your name, your current residence address, your employer’s name, and your employer’ phone number or address
  • Professional license (nurse, physician, engineer, etc.)
  • Selective service card showing a Washington State address
  • Professionally-filed tax return or filed copy sent to you by the IRS for the most recent tax filing year
  • Transcript or report card for the current school year from an educational institution in Washington State
  • W-2 form for the previous year

We hope you find this information useful.  Cheers!